Briggs & Stratton Corporation ("Briggs & Stratton" or the "Company") is focused on providing power to get work done and make people's lives better. Briggs & Stratton is the world's largest producer of gasoline engines for outdoor power equipment, and is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of power generation, pressure washer, lawn and garden, turf care and job site products through its Briggs & Stratton®, Simplicity®, Snapper®, Ferris®, Vanguard®, Allmand®, Billy Goat®, Hurricane®, Murray®, Branco® and Victa® brands. Briggs & Stratton products are designed, manufactured, marketed and serviced in over 100 countries on six continents.
The Company conducts its operations in two reportable segments: Engines and Products. Further information about Briggs & Stratton's business segments is contained in Note 9 of the Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements.
Briggs & Stratton manufactures four-cycle aluminum alloy gasoline engines with gross horsepower ranging from 2.5hp up to 40hp and torque ranging from 4.50 ft-lbs gross torque to 21.00 ft-lbs gross torque. The Company's engines are used primarily by the lawn and garden equipment industry, which accounted for 89% of the Engines segment's fiscal 2019 engine sales to OEMs. Major lawn and garden equipment applications include walk-behind lawn mowers, riding lawn mowers, garden tillers and snow throwers. The remaining 11% of engine sales to OEMs in fiscal 2019 was for use on products for industrial, construction, agricultural and other commercial and consumer applications that include portable and standby generators, pumps and pressure washers. Many retailers specify the Company's engines on the power equipment they sell and the Briggs & Stratton logo is often featured prominently on a product because of the appeal and reputation of the brand. The Company mainly sells commercial engines under the Vanguard® name.