The First Bancorp, Inc. (the "Company") was incorporated under the laws of the State of Maine on January 15, 1985, for the purpose of becoming the parent holding company of The First National Bank of Damariscotta, which was chartered as a national bank under the laws of the United States on May 30, 1864. At the Company's Annual Meeting of Shareholders on April 30, 2008, the Company's name was changed from First National Lincoln Corporation to The First Bancorp, Inc.
On January 14, 2005, the acquisition of FNB Bankshares ("FNB") of Bar Harbor, Maine, was completed, adding seven banking offices and one investment management office in Hancock and Washington counties of Maine. FNB's subsidiary, The First National Bank of Bar Harbor, was merged into The First National Bank of Damariscotta at closing, and from January 31, 2005, until January 28, 2016, the combined banks operated under the name: The First, N.A. On January 28, 2016, the Board of Directors voted to change the Bank's name to First National Bank (the "Bank").
On October 26, 2012, the Bank completed the purchase of a branch at 63 Union Street in Rockland, Maine, from Camden National Bank ("Camden National"). The branch is one of 15 Maine branches Camden National acquired from Bank of America, and this branch was divested by Camden National to resolve competitive concerns in that market raised by the U.S. Department of Justice's Antitrust Division. As part of the transaction, the Bank acquired approximately $32.3 million in deposits as well as a small volume of loans. On the same date, the Bank completed the purchase of a full-service bank building at 145 Exchange Street in Bangor, Maine, also from Camden National, and opened a full-service branch in this building in February of 2013. The total value of the transaction was $6.6 million, which included the premises and equipment for the two locations, the premium paid for the Rockland deposits, a small amount of loans, plus core deposit intangible and goodwill.