The Company, Hawthorn Bancshares, Inc., is a bank holding company registered under the Bank Holding Company Act of 1956, as amended. Hawthorn Bancshares, Inc. was incorporated under the laws of the State of Missouri on October 23, 1992 as Exchange National Bancshares, Inc. and changed its name to Hawthorn Bancshares, Inc. in August 2007. The Company owns all of the issued and outstanding capital stock of Union State Bancshares, Inc., which in turn owns all of the issued and outstanding capital stock of Hawthorn Bank. The Company and Union State Bancshares each received approval from the Federal Reserve and elected to become a financial holding company on October 21, 2001.
The Company acquired Hawthorn Bank and its constituent predecessor banks, as well as Union State Bancshares, in a series of transactions that are summarized as follows:
· On April 7, 1993 the Company acquired all of the issued and outstanding capital stock of The Exchange National Bank of Jefferson City, a national banking association, pursuant to a corporate reorganization involving an exchange of shares;